
Formula 1’s rules might be maddening enough to drive out one of its best racers.
Max Verstappen said it is “mentally not doable” to keep competing in F1 if the series doesn’t change its power unit regulations for 2027.
The league currently employs a 50-50 split between conventional combustion power and electrical elements. F1 had agreed in principle earlier this month on a 60-40 split in favor of the combustion engine, a move that Verstappen called a “very positive step” on Thursday.
However, several manufacturers have since backtracked, with some calling for a delay to the changes until 2028.
As a result, Verstappen joined Williams driver Carlos Sainz in urging the FIA to force the changes to be made.
“It will be better for the sport as a whole,” Verstappen said of the proposed changes.
“I can tell you, if it stays like this, then … let’s see. It’s just mentally not doable for me to stay like this, absolutely not.”
Multiple teams would also like to see the rules changed, including Verstappen’s own team, Red Bull, and Mercedes. The Dutch driver has likened the new cars to Mario Kart and called the battery-boosted passing “anti-racing,” while Aston Martin’s Fernando Alonso has deemed F1 the “battery world championship.”
Yet, the proposed rule changes have become political, which isn’t a surprise to Verstappen.
“That’s Formula 1 for you. It’s simply like that. It’s a bit of a shame,” he said. “Let’s stay on the positive side. We’re still looking towards making those changes. And, of course, some people that, at the moment, maybe have a bit of an advantage will try to be difficult about it. But if the FIA is strong, and also from the F1 (management) side, they just need to do it.”
Verstappen, a four-time F1 champion, sits seventh in the current F1 standings with 28 points, 78 behind Mercedes’ Kimi Antonelli.
–Field Level Media


