Elon Musk Says Celebrity Rapper Kanye West’s Twitter Account was Restored before His Takeover

0
6
Shuttershock Image Credit- Everett Collection
Shuttershock Image Credit- Everett Collection

Elon Musk, the owner of Twitter, claimed on Friday that he had no part in the reinstatement of musician Kanye West’s account, which had been disabled earlier this month for posting anti-Semitic comments.

The billionaire said that before the social media platform’s $44 billion buyout was finalized late on Thursday, Twitter had reinstated the account of the musician, who is now known as Ye. Musk claimed in a tweet that he had not been consulted or informed of the same.

Ye, who has more than 30 million Twitter followers, has given rise to controversy in recent months by publicly terminating significant corporate partnerships and making outbursts regarding other celebrities.

The rapper posted on Twitter for the first time in two years on October 8 after his Instagram account was suspended due to anti-Semitic comments. Musk responded with the message “Welcome back to Twitter, my friend!” at that time. Later, Twitter deleted one of his posts and locked his account. The Anti-Defamation League raised concern over billionaire Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter on Thursday, saying that if content control is pulled back, it may become a breeding ground for hatred and extremism.

The Tesla CEO took the reins of Twitter with ruthless efficiency. He started with sacking top executives but offered no explanation goal realization planned for Twitter. But on Friday, Musk announced that Twitter would create a content control council with widely different opinions. Before that council meets, no significant content choices or account reinstatements will happen, he continued.